Here’s an exercise well worth doing:
Think about your life at a specific time in the future. Imagine everything has gone as well as it possibly could.
You have worked hard, used your strengths and succeeded at accomplishing each of your life goals at that point in time.
This moment is the realisation of your life dreams.
Now, for 15-20 minutes, on 4 separate occasions, write continuously about what you imagined.
When we take the time to write about ourself accomplishing our long-term goals, we benefit. These benefits are substantial and numerous, and include:
- improved mood and well-being,
- more optimistic thinking,
- greater clarity about our motivations, priorities and long-term goals,
- improved confidence,
- integration of our emotions and life experiences in a more meaningful way,
- enhanced physical health, and
- a lower chance of getting ill.
When done right, the process of writing our New Years resolutions can not only benefit us one day in the future.
It can also benefit us today.